I’ve written in previous blog posts about how meditation transformed my life. I’ve been meditating consistently since 2019 and it has truly been life-changing. Meditation is about finding awareness, attaining peace, and transforming the mind. When I first started meditating consistently, I had no idea how beneficial it would be. The first thing I do every day is sit in meditation. This allows me to start my day with a peaceful and calm mind.
For beginners, meditating can seem difficult. You might have an image in your head of how meditation should look and feel and when it doesn’t live up to your expectations, you become frustrated. It may take a while for you to get into a routine, but once you do, you’ll reap the benefits of meditation. Here are a few tips for a better meditation practice.
- Start your day with meditation. When you meditate as soon as you rise each day, you set the tone for your day. You’ll be more aware and intentional with anything you do.
- Create a safe space. This could be a room in your home where you won’t be interrupted. Take time to set the mood with candles, incense, sage, crystals, and anything that feels good to you.
- Find the position that works best for you. You don’t have to sit in the stereotypical cross-legged position to meditate. I usually meditate sitting up but there have been times I do it while lying down. Find a comfortable position that works for you.
- Use a timer. Most people find it hard to sit in stillness for a lengthy amount of time. Set a timer for 5-10 minutes when you’re first starting.
- Focus on your breath. If you find your mind wandering, remember you can always return to your breath. You can repeat to yourself inhale, exhale to help focus on your breath.
- Utilize guided meditations. Not everyone can meditate in silence and that’s ok. I started only doing guided meditations, but now I alternate between them and meditate either in silence or with ambient music playing.
- Be patient and stay consistent. Don’t go into your practice expecting all your thoughts to completely vanish. It’s more about learning to manage your thoughts and emotions. Be patient with yourself and stay consistent with your practice.
- Allow yourself to feel. It’s ok to allow yourself to feel whatever comes up. If you need to cry, that’s ok. Allow yourself to release your painful feelings.
- Check-in with yourself. How do you feel during your meditation and after you’re finished? Check-in with yourself and observe how you feel.
A few of my favorite places to find guided meditations are the Insight Timer App and Youtube. Shelah Marie also has an amazing Meditation Mixtape that’s available on all streaming platforms. Also, last year I stumbled across a woman named Phoebe Garnsworthy. She has a guided meditation album available on Apple Music, Spotify, and Youtube.
What’s most important when beginning meditation is doing what works for you. Your practice won’t look exactly like someone else’s that you know. Once you get into a flow, you’ll be able to meditate with ease.
7 thoughts on “9 Meditation Tips for Beginners”
Thank you for this! I understand that consistency is a necessity for success with meditation. I will definitely give it another try.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Let me know how it goes! Thank you for reading!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thanks for these wonderful meditation tips. I am sure everyone of us can get help from it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome. Thank you for reading!